Thursday, September 1, 2011

And the project was...

Our Deck!!!

We love hanging out on our deck but sadly since we've become parents we have neglected our backyard especially our deck. With football season kicking off this week we got the nudge we needed to improve our backyard. Plus it helps that CB is walking and loves to be outside! So before I get to the deck let me fill you in on all the work we've done on the backyard as a whole.

We started with new sod which was done a few months ago because Will couldn't wait to have grass. If you remember our yard before it was dirt/dust with a small semi circle mulch garden surrounded by rocks. Not too pretty! Will has worked really hard on it and it looks great now. CB can run & play on grass and not dirt. YAY!


Next we got a new dog kennel due to a storm that destroyed the old one. This was not by choice obviously but it had to be done.

Then I was in charge of laying pine straw by the fence line. Eventually we'd like to plant hydrangea bushes and a crape myrtle but until then the pine straw really is an improvement. I don't know if you remember it before but it was just weeds- nothing impressive. At least the pine straw makes it look more manicured until we get around to planting in the Spring.

Finally we come to the deck! As most of you know we have a great deck. We love the layout and it is a perfect size for our yard- it just needed some TLC. When we moved in 1 1/2 years ago the previous owner told us to stain it because he had just pressure washed it. Well like any person moving into a new home you want to get unpacked and take care of the inside first so we never made it around to staining it until now. We borrowed a pressure washer from Kingsley's fam (thanks Donna & Ric) and took 4 days to get it clean. The 1st layer was dirt/grime and the 2nd layer was the old very dark stain. Wow never did I think it would take this long or be that much work! When I took over the pressure washer from Will to help the 1st day I told him after 10 min. that this wasn't as much fun as I thought this would be. He just laughed but hey at least I helped every day. The end result was worth it though!


Before the 1st pressure wash
After the 1st pressure wash
We used FLOOD deck stain recommended by Whitney & Ingram and so far so good. We chose the CMF Cedar Tone for our color.

Here's the difference...
Our helper Throw in a few potted plants, a newly painted table with our old chairs, some new grill covers and we're set...almost.

Once we completed the deck Will decided to make it the perfect football season spot by adding one of our small tvs and a wireless receiver. Now we can watch any game outside without having to lug a tv outside then in after the game is over. It is PERFECT!!!


A few more before and afters...


P.S. After this weekend I'll be sure to post pics of CB in her Auburn Orange & Alabama Crimson outfits!





No comments:

Post a Comment