I started on my first DIY project for the lake house and it turned out pretty well. Here's the how to on making & stenciling a burlap lampshade.
What you'll need:
Lampshade
Burlap (1 yd)
Ribbon
Hot glue gun
Clothes pins/Tape
Stencil of your choice
Highlighter
Scissors
Paint (acrylic is what I used)
Paint brush
First I used a lampshade that I already had in the storage shed. Make sure to use a solid one so when you turn it on patterns won't show through the burlap.

I took the burlap and laid it on the floor. I rolled the lampshade and traced it with the highlighter leaving a few inches on each side. If you use a drum it will have less of a curve then this.

I used the hot glue gun and glued the top and the bottom. The clothes pins helped to keep both ends of the top and bottom in place. At the end I folded it over to hide the fray and glued it down.

To hide the fray on top and bottom I hot glued the white ribbon.

I got my stencil off of the internet and my computer. I know its old school- but I traced the pattern on paper that was placed over my computer screen. I'm going with a "W" for Wheeler Lake House! I used the clothes pins again to help hold the stencil centered and used my double stick tape to secure the rest.

I chose to use white acrylic paint and applied it with a foam brush. Make sure to apply it thick enough to penetrate the burlap.

The finished product! Ready to go on our bedside table at the lake!!!
does this mean I should be working on "our" room?! Haha...I do love a good project!
ReplyDelete